Goals are a Place to Come From
Have you ever thought of your goals as a place to COME FROM instead of GET TO?
This was a brand new idea for me. I had always thought of goals as something to achieve, check off, and accomplish.
I can’t even remember where I first heard this idea, but when I did, it changed everything. It took all the pressure off of achieving the goal and put all the focus and energy on moving towards the goal.
This time of year is always thought provoking for me as I reflect and create for the coming year. This year, as I reflect, one of the important things I did this year was to create a podcast. The Differently podcast emerged out of a goal at the end of 2019 – “Be More Visible”.
You see, I had built a business rather quietly (and liked it this way :)) and I felt in my heart at the end of 2019 that it was time to allow more visiblity into my business so that I could expand the impact. Up until this point, I was afraid of sharing all of who I am, but I felt God telling me it was time to share my voice and message in a bigger way.
It felt daunting when I started. I had no clue how to do a podcast, what it would take, what I would talk about, or how to set it all up – let alone execute it on an ongoing basis.
But, the goal of “Be More Visible” led the way. I honestly didn’t even know what this goal was going to mean at the time. I just knew that I was being called to this intention for the year.
Has that ever happened to you?
The really cool thing was this intention to be more visible led the way. Here’s a peek into what happened and my thought process…
- I had a call with a client about her experience coaching and she suggested I create a podcast.
- My first thoughts, “No way”. “I can’t do that”. Idea was dismissed.
- Idea was planted and took hold over time.
- I took a course to learn the ins and outs of creating a podcast, launching a podcast, crafting an episode, etc…
- I created the trailer. (Listen here)
- I recorded several episodes.
- I set a launch date.
- I freaked out the week before and was ready to scrap everything.
- I moved forward.
If it weren’t for my husband and his loving guideance I would have scrapped it, never stepped up, never shared who I really am.
Here we are at the end of 2021 and I have completed the commitment to myself to do it for one year. 52 episodes!
I share this with you because I’m standing here now and looking back and this has been one of the easiest things I have ever done in my business. There has been more ease and joy than I ever expected. Don’t get me wrong – there were times I didn’t know what to create or say, moments of doubt or times when we got behind and had to publish an episode at the last minute, but, overall a lot of joy and ease.
I am reminded of these things…
- New things and hard things seem daunting when I first set out.
- It’s commitment, discipline and showing up for the sake of something bigger that clears and makes the way.
- You don’t have to know how to do it or see the entire path, but you must take the first step and continue stepping.
- Confidence doesn’t always lead, it follows inspired, consistent action.
The nudges of my heart continue to lead to the most fascinating places.
What is tugging at your heart as you wind down this year and approach the next?
What have you been knowing its time to do, but putting off?
The time is now. If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
P.S. If you haven’t already, please check out and subscribe to my podcast.